In 2004, WM was asked to find a solution to a special requests from BWA (now Entiris), a Belgian company which was interested in a thermoforming machine model FC 600 E vacuum/high pressure forming machine, with a stacking solution including the following characteristics:
- Offer a comfortable working height for disabled operators, when collecting the thermoformed parts.
- Avoid the construction of new stacker pushers for the customer existing moulds, which were built for vacuum and vacuum/low pressure forming machines.
- Increase machine output, even with the existing moulds.
The solution, developed by WM’s Technical Department, in collaboration with the customer, was simple and effective, replacing the standard stacker with a Downward stacker.
The downward stacker is driven by a servomotor with 5 speed adjustments. There is a moving scrap clamp frame, a suction plate with suction-cups adapted for each product, parts counting and extraction conveyor belt.
- First result – The working height for the collection of formed parts is only 900 mm high, similar to the height of a standard table, as opposed to a height of 1400 mm for the standard machine, so there is no need for a platform behind the machine
- Second result – The suction plate with the appropriate number of suction-cups, positioned in a matrix like a chess board, can stack all the shapes and with a servomotor drive and dedicated software, each part is counted and deposited gently one on top of the other
- With this solution the product can be deposited one part at a time allowing for individual inspection, making it ideal for medical shapes
- Third result – The changeover of the stacker from one product to another is quick and easy
- Fourth result – The output is kept high, due to the application of the moving scrap clamp. The machine achieved a production rate of 41 cycles/1’ with a cavitised tray, produced from 350 microns R-APET
Subsequently, WM has found other useful applications for the downward stacker on both the FC 600 E and FC 780 E Speedmaster Plus machines, especially for customers employed in the production of medical packaging, PP lids and for short-run jobs.
Today our Downward Stacker can be found on our machine supplied all over the world: Belgium, UK, France, Russia, Australia and Taiwan.