OCTAL is the largest PET resin manufacturer in the Middle East and the largest integrated PET sheet manufacturer in the world. The company’s state-of-the-art plant has been purposely designed and built to yield superior quality PET products with waste and cost reduction benefits, increased productivity for thermoformers and unmatched environmental advantages. Strategically located in the port city of Salalah on the southern coast of the Sultanate of Oman, OCTAL is well positioned to meet customer requirements from production to delivery.
Three years ago, OCTAL ventured into thermoforming with a forming-cutting-stacking machine FC 780 from WM Wrapping Machinery Switzerland.
Today, three machines, all supplied by WM, produce PET trays, boxes and containers at OCTAL. This combination of thermoforming machines and OCTAL’s unique DPET™ material, gives to the finished product an unprecedented level of quality.
OCTAL’s latest machine from WM is a fully electric, four stations forming-punching-cutting-stacking thermoforming machine model FC780 E HP Speedmaster Plus for the production of PET food packaging containers.
Bakery and Produce packaging requires superior optical properties along with the strength and flexibility to maintain form and function in hands-on environment such as bakery filling lines and grocery stores. DPET™ provides the rigidity and clarity necessary for these applications, while also offering an environmentally conscious, re-usable and visually attractive packaging solution.
DPET™, or direct-to-sheet PET, is a unique sheet that further extends PET packaging’s range of advantages in the bakery and produce packaging sector. OCTAL’s patented DPET™ process provides superior clarity and gloss, giving products a shine and visual appeal that sets them apart on the shelf. DPET™ also brings mechanical advantages such as enhanced strength, flexibility, resistance to cracking and versatility, which allow for a wide variety of forms with high definition, even with deep draws.
DPET™ cuts easier than traditional PET sheets, meaning more uniform cutting and knives that last longer between sharpening and replacement. Multi-pack breakaway features are more precisely cut, so packs stay together until the consumer chooses to easily and predictably separate individual units for use, a key attribute in yogurt packaging. DPET™ delivers a smooth and glossy surface that is perfect for detailed printing designs and process printing, yielding attractive packs with enhanced shelf presence.
W.M. FC780 E HP Speedmaster Plus represents the latest evolution of electric thermoforming machines with its maximum tool dimensions of 780×570 mm and a maximum forming height positive/negative of 130 mm.
- The machine movements are made with servo-motors which allow high rates of production up to 54 cycles per minute depending on the material, as well as reduced energy consumption.
- The sheet heating section is equipped with both upper and lower heater banks with infra-red ceramic heating elements with independently controlled zones which allows the optimisation of the heating phase, depending on the type of material being processed.
- Forming is by means of compressed air up to 8 bar and vacuum, which can be programmed in the required sequence with quick change between the upper and lower platens.
- The products are cut out using heated steel rule blades and then automatically counted and stacked.
- The forming unit, with a toggle closing , guided by three tie bars, generates a power of 300 KN on eight points of the platen. This allows a better rigidity of mould closing and also a force repartition.
- The regulation of upper and lower platens heights is electric and so it is also the independent motion for plugs: “third motion”.
- The punching unit, with a toggle closing , guided by three tie bars, generates power of 300 kN as well.
- The cutting unit, with a toggle closing, guided by four tie bars, generates power of 600 kN. This allows a better rigidity and planarity as well as and a better cutting force repartition.
- The adjustments of the upper and lower heights is electric.
- It is possible to read the forming and cutting real used force on the machine monitor.
All the adjustments and settings are made through the touchscreen LCD monitor which is mounted on a control panel fitted to a sliding arm.
All of the input data and guidelines can be stored on a USB memory stick and a printer port can be used to reproduce paper copies of all of the video pages.
A new software has been created in order to supply an automatic regulation of the machine parameters by applying the products data:
- raw material
- material thickness
- mould length & width
- product height
- number of cavities
Considering all these parameters, the machine can launch the automatic cycle optimised at 90%.
The machine is compact, thanks to the integration of the electric cabinet in its dimensions.
The operator side is also easily accessible to facilitate quick mould change and the optimal tools extraction.
Finally, it presents a new design with an superlative transparent surface.
Remote service assistance with a new access hardware support (Gate Manager) is on the machine. This is an evolution of the modem connection, with the advantage of higher speed without phone connection costs. This guarantees an efficient after-sales assistance service anywhere all over in the world.
All FC – SPEEDMASTER Plus machines can process any thermoplastics sheet under optimal conditions using vacuum and compressed air, including: PS – OPS – EPS – PP – UPVC – APET – PETG – RPET – PLA – multilayer and barrier materials.